Who doesn’t love speed? When speed talk is related to cars the idea is to find the perfect package of horsepower and torque in a lightweight, aerodynamic design. The package gets tough when it is linked to the purchasing price of the car. The problem is actually finding the figures, as automakers don’t exactly brag about 0-60 runs in 9 seconds. Car companies with rides under $15,000 usually leave a blank space where performance would normally be discussed. Well, here is the list of fastest cars below $15,000.
1. 2014 Nissan Versa Note SV Hatchback: The Nissan versa comes for $13,990. It packs a 1.6-liter 4-cylinder engine capable of 109 horsepower. Nonetheless, some track testers were kind enough to hop behind the wheel of a Versa Note for a speed quote. The Versa Note can also reach 40 mpg on the highway.
2. 2014 Toyota Yaris: Usually the Toyota don’t break any speed records. But this mini Toyota Yaris is an exception. This car outshines several competitors in the segment in a race from 0-60 mph. Using its 1.5-liter, inline 4-cylinder engine with 106 hp, the Toyota Yaris can pull off the 0-60 sprint in 9.4 seconds, according to AOL Autos. It can get as much as 37 mpg on the highway.
3. 2014 Fiesta S Hatch: This was the best selling car in the UK in 2013. It outraced the Focus and other mini vehicles with its emphasis on efficiency. The 2014 Fiesta S Hatch comes for $14,600. According to Top Speed, the Fiesta S hatchback can run 0-60 mph in 9.3 seconds, which places it squarely in the top five of this budget segment. The Fiesta S trim delivers a max 120 hp with its 1.6-liter, 16-valve four-cylinder engine. It’s not the ST hot hatch version that charges with 197 horsepower, but the base Fiesta has a little zip and can get 38 highway mpg.
4. 2014 Chevy Sonic: The mini Sonic comes for $14,170. It has a little speed at a much lower price. The base 4-door Sonic packs an Ecotec 1.8-liter, 4-cylinder engine that delivers 138 horsepower on 125 lb-ft of torque. That’s enough power to have it break the 9-second barrier. Chevy’s Sonic 1.8-liter model can get up to 40 mpg on the highway.
5. 2014 Kia Soul: It is said that Kia is synonym with the word funky. The base model of the Soul houses a 1.6-liter, inline 4-cylinder engine that can produce 130 hp on 118 lb-ft of torque. The size of the Soul puts it on the low end of this list in efficiency at 30 mpg highway.